Friday, October 4, 2013

'Better than Condensed' Tomato Soup

Autumn changes the menu, doesn't it?  
Suddenly I want to make all kinds of cozy meals; Hot, creamy soups
Shepherd's Pie, home baked buns... Mmm.


Yesterday, we wanted to sit down to a big hot bowl of tomato soup. Back in my canned-soup buying days, we would often enjoy tomato soup. But I can't bring myself to buy the cans anymore. Especially when I know I can make it at home. 

So we did! And, served with garlic toast, the kids didn't even mind it too horribly much. It was not EXACTLY the same, but that's going to happen when we're changing our tastes... I really enjoyed it! And it was super simple to make. 

Better Than Condensed Tomato Soup

3 Tbsp     butter
2 Tbsp     flour
1/4 tsp     salt
1 cup       tomato juice
1 Tbsp     paprika (I did this mostly for color)
dash         garlic powder
dash         dried onion powder
dash         basil
dash         oregano

1. Melt butter in saucepan
2. Blend in flour 
3. Whisk in tomato juice and salt. Add slowly to prevent lumps.
4. Cook until smooth and thick. Enjoy!


What are some things you used to buy that you now home-make?


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!