Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Gluten Free Week 1 - A Few Lessons for Newbie

Week one on the Gluten Free kick has taught me a few things. 


Like compassion. 

I didn't think giving up bread was going to be a big deal. Especially if I can buy gluten free bread. How hard could it be?  


Turns out gluten-free bread is quite different. Dense. Salty. Kinda... corn-mealy. It's possible that I made it wrong, and it is actually supposed to be fluffier. But so far I'm not loving the gluten free bread, and eat it only when I really, really want bread. Which has been several times this week...

Bottom line, if I had to make this switch forever, it would be an adjustment. I can understand a little bit why people say it's difficult. So, if I'm gaining a tiny bit of understanding about another person, that's already a win. 


Also learned that wheat (includes 'malt') is in alot of stuff.  
It's even in soya sauce! (which I used anyway)

Best of all, I learned that my symptoms are likely not linked to gluten so much as aspartame. I was not happy to learn this. Gluten-free is doable. Not my favorite, but doable. But to rid my life of diet coke is a whole other story. Actually, the whole aspartame thing is a whole other story. So I'll share that another time. For now, I'm glad to know that these symptoms can be managed by my food and drink choices. 
I still plan to go forward with the 30 Gluten Free days, but will also be cutting out aspartame. 

What diet changes have you made? Did you find them difficult?



.




I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting! I love to hear how you save money and time. Please share your tips, techniques and advice so we can all benefit and, hopefully, help each other to become better stewards of what we have :)

Go Ahead and Share The Work Here!